Wednesday, December 08, 2004

Stinkin' patrol car

Early on in the shift one evening we got a call about 2 strange people, a man and a woman, hanging around a certain residential area. A car was sent to the call and I went as backup. The Officer got there before I did, and as soon as he got there he called in with what he had-two homeless-looking people wandering around. When he gave their description I knew who they were, so there was no need for me to continue on. The Officer handled the call and left.

Later on in the night another Officer was sent to an intersection farther south in town on a couple of people setting on the curb. I was right down the street so I called and said I'd meet the Officer on the call. That's when the dispatcher said there had been 20 to 30 calls on the couple, mainly from people who thought they may get run over. When I got there the Officer was out talking to the couple-mainly to the mother since the son never said a word. She didn't know where she lived, but knew her house number had a 6, 7, and a 2 in it, but she also didn't know the order of the numbers. I knew where a relattive lived, so I asked if the couple wanted a ride there, and th mother, who by that time couldn't hardly walk, said they'd go there.

These two had a stench about them that wouldn't stop. Apparently they didn't know that water, when combined with soap, made a wonderful combination and it would do wonders to stop smell. Maybe they had no soap or water, or both, for that matter. Anyway, I told the mother that the nice young Officer with me would be happy to give them a ride home, since we had a good idea of where to take them. The Officer helped the mother get in the back seat and the son in the front. Before he could leave all the windows had to come down as it was absolutely unbearably stinking in the car. He left and made a fast trip out of the 7 or 8 blocks to their home, and got rid of them.

A few minutes after he called in service I heard him come in to the station. I got up and got the big can of Lysol spray, since I knew he would want it. He said he first had to clean up the back seat since the mother took a crap on the way home and left the majority of it in the seat. I guess mere words wasn't enough to express the gratitude these folks had for the nice young Officer.

2 Comments:

Blogger twentymileblock said...

Sounds like a lot of fun you had that night. How long did the jokes go on for after that.

Tom

December 8, 2004 at 6:13 PM  
Blogger David said...

The jokes, like that smell in the car, will go on forever as long as someone remembers them and the car still exists.

December 8, 2004 at 10:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home