Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Bob-In-The-Box

Our old Senior Dispatcher finally retired, and a few years later re-married, and they moved away. He came back to see us a few times, then his health went downhill, and he ended up in a raisin ranch. The guy smoked like a house on fire, and the ranch had one room for the smokers. He could be seen there dragging his O2 tank and heading for that room. I don't know what kept him for burning himself up.

He eventually died, and his wife had him cremated (how appropriate). The day of the funeral all the officers and deputies that knew and worked with him for the last 30 some odd years all gathered at the funeral parlor. We were all seated as a body on one half. I was at the end of the row, and noticed the deputy next to me couldn't see the cremains and the preacher because of a post blocking her view. I leaned over, and just to make sure she could hear me told her "Well. You can't see the Bob-In-The-Box." Gee, from the reaction I got you'd a thought I did something terrible during the service. I didn't think it was that bad, she really couldn't see the box. The Old Guy would have liked it but she sure didn't. Can't please 'em all.

2 Comments:

Blogger mediaguru @ HookedOnGolfBlog.com said...

I like your style. Keep it up. I added your blog to my links...

December 16, 2004 at 12:28 AM  
Blogger David said...

Thank you, I appreciate your comments. In this line of work we need a good sense of humor, as warped as it may be sometimes. Those who have been there know what I'm talking about.

December 16, 2004 at 8:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home